Friday, July 10, 2009

Shawn's favorite ride







Shawn Gillis and I decided to schedule a ride. Shawn asked Wes to join us too. A few days later Shawn and Wes met me in Chalk Creek and we drove on up toward St Elmo. The ride follows the old railroad grade to the old Alpine Tunnel. There's some interesting structures along the route.

Shawn, Wes and I climbed higher as the sun went down. When we arrived at the East portal of the abandoned Alpine Tunnel we turned to a singletrack which rises over the divide. There was a snowfield to cross which required focus to take each step carefully on the steep side slope.

At the top we could see the west entrance to the collapsed tunnel.

Shawn directed us to turn right and follow a trail northwest toward wildcat canyon. We were riding the top of the divide as the sun set. In a moment I came up to Shawn and while catching my breath Shawn said "look to your right" There the moon had popped over the ridge.

I followed Shawn and Wes as the pace picked up descending toward the road which goes to Tincup Pass. We zoomed that road back to St. Elmo and the cars.

A magical ride

No comments: